This page contains tryout information if you're interested in trying out for the 2020-2021 Team! We highly recommend that you practice the skills listed below throughout the year. We do not have a set number of dancers we will take, so don't be afraid to try out! We always have tryouts in the spring for the following year as we train all throughout summer.
2020-2021 Tryouts: POSTPONED
Tryouts for the 2020-2021 MHS Dance Team have been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will make formal announcements on our website and social media accounts once tryouts for the 2020-2021 team have been set.
Here is information on what tryouts usually look like:
Auditions will consist of a dance that we will teach & rehearse throughout the week as well as individual skills. Please do not get overwhelmed by the list of skills-we will teach & practice these skills throughout the week. By no means do you have to perform each skill perfectly at auditions-we look for potential!
- The dance will consist of 4-eight counts each of pom, jazz, hip hop, & your own choreography.
- Individual skills that must be shown at auditions:
- Kicks (right & left)
- Outside pirouettes on both the right & left:
- Triples & more are optional
- Leaps (right, left, & center)
- Toe Touch
- Splits (right, left, & center)
- Up to 3 additional skills of choice:
- These are what you want to highlight to the judges. Examples include but are not limited to: fouettes/a la seconde turns, turning leaps, switch leaps, tumbling, hip hop tricks (head springs, kips, etc.), leg holds, tilts, turning/jumping combinations, etc.